Monday, May 21, 2012

Day 14 – Tent Shop


One tent or two, madam?
With the glittering skyscrapers and giant malls, you’d be forgiven for forgetting that the UAE is a young country – only 40 years old. Scratch the surface and you’ll find old local shops, greengrocers, tailors…and on a trip to Al Ain, I discovered a row of…tent shops! 

Not as unusual as you might think given the region’s Bedouin roots. Before the discovery of oil and the subsequent riches of the nation, tents were shelter for travellers and homes for many. 

They’re still used for celebrations such as weddings, parties and there’s often a Bedouin-esque majilis display in some of the top hotels – the irony.

Whilst I am not a fan of camping (have we met) I will admit that these beautiful tents piqued my interest. Until the winter, I'll stick to hotels though....

No comments: