Monday, November 28, 2011

Simple Pleasures


Where else can you find therapy for 5 dirhams?!
I’ve said this before and I’ll say it again: I ADORE Dubai parks.  They’re havens of joy and happiness and amongst the best therapy I’ve ever experienced after a tough week.  And I’m clearly not alone, as at the weekend they’re packed with all nationalities and all walks of life, all united in one thing: having a fabulous carefree time.  Over the last few years we’ve accumulated a pile of park necessities and I’m always on the look-out for more. I’ve actually started staring at other park-goers, not just because it’s great people watching, but also to see what park paraphernalia they may have that I need to get involved in!
So far these park items include:
  • Special fold-out ‘thing’ for sitting on.  You need something waterproof as the grass is irrigated at night and can be surprisingly wet.
  • Special soft rug. Not an essential for everyone but I don’t leave home without it. This can be a fluffy throw or a camel blanket, depending on whatever is closest to hand.
  • Cool bag or picnic basket. Have been looking for a picnic basket for ages, without success. Have decided to save the dirhams and stick to the cool bag.
  • Some sort of game.  Now I NEVER thought I’d be one of ‘those’ people who plays stupid games or frisbees in the park, but it turns out, I am!  Current favourite is a bizarre game which is basically two discs which you use to bat a small runner thing made of string.  Sounds ridic, but it hilarious. I am now hankering after a badminton set. No, really!
  • Cushions.  The bigger the better, ideal for lounging on when exhausted from the aforementioned games, chowing down on some picnic food, or simply gazing up at the perpetually blue sky.
  • Picnic.  Perennial staples: egg sandwiches and cold sausages.  Optional extras: pretzels or ice cream.
  • Kite. This is a very recent addition.  Ours is National Day themed and cost 10 dirhams (about 1.40 GBP). 
So there you have it.  What with the 5 dirham entry fee and cost-effective accessories, what price happiness? Not much!

No comments: