Monday, May 02, 2011

From Duchess to Dutch...Not Everyone gets the Fairytale..

Dating: A bit of a gamble
I'm going to eschew a post about the Royal Wedding...there's very little I can say that hasn't been said already.  Suffice to say, I am STILL rifling through some commemorative issues of UK papers that my parents brought over with them. LOVE.

Instead I thought I'd share an experience of a friend, who shall remain nameless for soon-to-be obvious reasons.  I received her message the day after Kate became a Duchess, and it served as an able reminder of what real single women have to deal with.

Let's just say it was an interesting contrast to the fairytale ending that Kate enjoyed....read her summary of her date and weep, dear reader. Or laugh hysterically, as I did.  I've popped my comments in under her points, for ease.

1 - Went dutch on bill. Not being funny and I am totally modern and don't expect anyone to pay for me whatsoever, but it would have been nice to have offered to pick up the tab? Non?  
Agreed. We're all high-achieving high-earning modern independent women who can and will pay our own way in every area of our lives. The first date is the last bastion of male chivalry. Pay, boys.
2 - He ate REALLY fast - which boys do in general - but it still irks me.
Not attractive.  And shouldn't you be chatting so much that food is eaten slowly?
3 - He is very lovely - and good looking etc - but I suspect he is as dumb as a box of hair.
Often the case. A cruel trick that the universe plays on us. Obviously this does not apply to me or my gorgeous friends. Ha!
4 - If I do date him (very doubtful) I don't think that I can admit to the world that he works at the Tena lady factory as a programmer (cue howls of laughter)
I can't stop laughing at this and am awaiting further details.
5 - They always seem to like me much more than I like them - though to be fair I am amazeballs.
6 -Saggy old pants (him not me)
7 - This point has been removed due to indecency!
8 - I had a lot of sex but I didn't actually either a) come or b) pretend to, and he didn't seem that aware of this fact.
As in point 3, very sadly this can often be the case....
9 - Boys are weird generally
10 - I do have more points but feel really mean documenting them.

My favourite points are number 4 (really?!) and number 8.  I didn't mention, but this was a UK date. Comforting to know that it's not only Dubai men that are clueless in some departments!

No comments: