Sunday, June 13, 2010

New Home


I started writing this blog post from the most spectacular location....looking out over the blue sea, mosques and villas of Jumeirah, and the 12 lanes of Sheikh Zayed Road. In the distance I could see the Burj Al Arab and Jumeira Beach Hotel..on a really clear day you can just about see the marina skyscrapers. Where am I, I hear you cry? (Ok...maybe it's just a passing thought) No, not the newest hangout in Dubai, not the viewing point of the Burk Khaifa (that's 124 floors up), but the couch, in my new apartment! Which, for the record, is on the 28th floor....

Yep, I'm finally in. Moving has been on my to-do list for the last month, but a hectic work schedule (is there any other type) has meant that it's been a half-hearted attempt with a lot of false starts. After scanning round a new development I quickly spotted my favourite style, and after one of my good friends moved into one that was the same configuration, I fell in love. I realised that after spending a good two-hour visit at hers with my nose pressed against the glass staring at the view that I just HAD to live there.

Cue much emailing/phoning/dealing with ridiculous estate agents.....haggling overprices, number of cheques. If you don't live in Dubai you'll be staggered to know (if I haven't already bored you with this fact) that you don't pay your rent month to month. Oh no. You have to pay in one, two, or (if you're lucky) four cheques. Not only does this mean having to stump up a huge amount of cash up front (I still smart when I remember handing over 9000 quid one lunch time) it means you're basically betting on the fact that you’re going to be in Dubai for the next six months/a year. I have absolutely no plans to leave, but I am a girl who likes to have some flexibility to move..and if Ashton Kutcher calls me asking if I can move to L.A...well, my chances of getting that pre-paid cash back are slim to non-existent....Anyway!

What's it like, you've all been asking me....well, it's GORGEOUS. The crucial stuff: you can sea the sea from the front door, and from pretty much the whole apartment...including whilst sitting on the toilet..The usual Dubai stuff: it has two enormous pools, a gum, a balcony which gets the sun all day....it's the perfect location with malls and metro just steps away. I LOVE it.

Visitors: you're welcome any time (just a bit of advance warning so I can re-arrange the kitchen cupboards!).

2 comments:

Mrs Dubai said...

Wow! Fantastic views. Who needs TV when you can stare out at that?

Britney of Arabia said...

amazing isn't it! And as my tv isn't actually connected, I do regularly stare out of the window of an evening! Now I just need to find my binoculars...