Sunday, September 13, 2009

Product Placement

I'm not sure why this is news...hasn't it been going on for years? Back in my House of Pain days my toilet tissue client (oh, the glamour) had the bright idea of wanting their product to be stocked on the shelves of the convenience store in EastEnders. Always one to embrace looking for tortoiseshell paint, I tackled the challenge with relish, contacting product placement agencies to unearth costs and protocol.

The figures were mind-boggling - Peugeot paid millions to have their new estate car featured in the final chase sequence of Notting Hill......and the sum to have good old bog roll on the shelf behind Ian Beale etc.....20k GBP....PER MONTH!!!!

And that was 10 years ago! Don't get me wrong, I can see the benefits of brands sneaking their subliminal way into our consciousness via this route, but unless done cleverly and appropriately, you could well end up throwing good money after bad. Interesting, anyway.

No comments: