Thursday, September 17, 2009

Legally Blonde

As every girl will tell you, there are three very important people who you must have on your speed dial list: Hairdresser, dentist and gynae. Well, I appreciate that not everyone is as obsessed with teeth as I am, but I'm sure ladies can empathise with the first two. The last time I shared this info with my dentist (hello Tarek!) he wasn't all that impressed with being lumped in with a hairdresser, but hey, it's true.

And nowhere is it more crucial to get a good hairdresser than Dubai, especially if you're blonde. And (sweeping generalisation alert, which is, to be fair, based on some hideous past experiences: see earlier blog posts) it helps if you can find someone who is used to dealing with European hair. Which means finding a European hairdresser.

I'm blessed that I have such a genius hairdresser: I give you Martin, from Scotland, who works wonders and knows that dumping a pile of bleach on your head and giving you a blow-dry so extreme it can be seen from the moon, is not a good look.

The only downside: he can talk for England. Or Scotland. And when I say talk, I mean TALK. It's completely normal for a colour and cut to take 3 hours. Yes, 3 hours! And if you don't believe me, ask Andrea, Deborah, Ellen, Kate...the list goes on.

But last night a miracle happened - I was in and out in just over an hour! There was the usual chat: the best thing that ever happened to you was losing the ex: you look amazing/what a great tan you have/I've never noticed how great your legs are/have you lost weight/let's make you blonde blonde blonde - which despite being the same every time is always nice to hear....and the results...well you'll have to wait and see, but yes, it's VERY blonde. And blunt. Cathy: I took inspiration from you....

No comments: