Sunday, August 16, 2009

Ramadan....

Ramadan is almost upon us. It's a really fascinating time...over the weekend I watched a DVD all about Mecca and the whole pilgrimage - 1.5 million Muslims descend on the place, a feat or engineering and organisation!

The actual manifestation of Ramadan is that Muslim colleagues fast during daylight hours, pray more often during the day....and for us non-Muslims, we hurry to find out what times various licensed premises open (after sundown). All loud music is forbidden, so the clubs are closed, and in theory we work shorter hours (10-4). In reality I don't think I worked one day of Ramadan hours last year, this year I'm hoping that I will......it would be the ideal opportunity to get into the gym....

As last year I was a prisoner in a very restrictive relationship, I can't remember Ramadan having that much impact on me: this year, given my new found freedom and fabulous social life, I'm wondering what it will be like....time will tell.

No comments: