Tuesday, August 04, 2009

If We Build it, They Will…..

I live and work in Downtown Burj Dubai, the area around the world’s tallest building, in case you were wondering. It’s really hard to gauge exactly what it’s going to look like when it’s finished – the whole place is a definite work in progress – basically one giant building site. There’s lots of just-started and half-finished buildings. And I’m just dying to know what it’s going to look like. (yes, I’m a geek.) So imagine my excitement when I stumbled across a giant 32 model of the whole area – in the office building right next to mine!

This may not sound exciting, but believe me, when you see the scale of the thing, you’d be impressed. The Model alone is easily 25 metres square. As well as the very obvious Burj, there must be at least 100 giant skyscrapers yet to be built. Whether or not these get finished any time soon, given the current ‘on-hold’ situation, who knows, but you can’t help but be blinded by the ambition of the whole area. Especially considering how long it takes to get planning permission for a conservatory in the UK! (I have no actual experience of this, but you get my drift.)

No comments: