Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Farewell Felines!

I felt extremely mean last night: the time had come for Hitler and Felix to return to their rightful home (a villa out in Barsha.) Nothing mean about that other than we’ve got into a bit of a routine when I get home from work:

I open door and call to the cats
Cats stampede towards me in manner of paparazzi towards Britney
I stagger into kitchen trying not to break neck with cats underfoot
Cats climb over one another and me trying to get to cupboard with the food in it
Cats get into cupboard
I wrestle cats out of cupboard (ever see that scene on Jeremy Beadle where the little boy is trying to get hold of eels and put them in a jar? For some reason this comes to mind now)
Cats clamber over one another and scarf down food at high speed

You get the picture.

Last night was very different:

I open door and call to the cats
Cats stampede towards me in manner of paparazzi towards Britney
I stagger into kitchen trying not to break neck with cats underfoot
Cats immediately realize something is wrong when they see Peter with me – plus two cat carrying cases
Cats beat retreat into bedroom and take refuge under bed
I remember tried and trusted was to tempt them out: food
Cat One races into lounge towards food
Peter grabs cat
Cat resists entering the box, but it is futile
Cat Two now even more reluctant to come out from under the bed
Cat One wails from cat box
Cat Two now even more reluctant to come out from under the bed
Cat Two dashes from bed and hides behind the curtain
I advance on Cat Two
Cat Two makes a bid for freedom
I throw myself on Cat Two holding towel in manner of rugby player advancing on rugby ball
Cat Two heavily resists entering the box
Peter may, I suspect have been laughing behind me at this point
Cat Two is forced into the box head first. A lot of protesting.

Bless them, they had to go home at some point, and I’m sure they’re already super happy there. But it was hard not to feel sorry for them as they peered out of their boxes and were wheeled away on the concierge trolley. Take care ladies!

No comments: