Sunday, October 12, 2008

Who Ate All the Hummus?

Some readers have made the observation that all I do here in Dubai is eat and drink. Well you’re…..right! With so many fabulous hotels, each with numerous restaurants, it seems rude not to partake in as many of their wares as is possible whilst I’m here.

Combine this with the fact that it is so hard to combine any physical activity into your day – walking is impossible (heat, fear of being mown down by erratic drivers, no pavements) and I am reminded of the warning I was given before I came here: watch out for the ‘Dubai Stone’. This is, at it sounds, the depressing fact that most people chunk on the pounds when they get here.

Weirdly, I don’t actually weigh any more than I did when I arrived, but my body does feel different, and let’s just say that some of my clothes seem to have, ahem, ‘shrunk in the wash’.

I try to swim a couple of nights a week and I usually make it to the gym on a Saturday. But it is hard to get motivated for anything more than that – if I finish work at 8 then there is no chance of me throwing myself into any physical activity that doesn’t involve uncorking a bottle.

So, I’m not a bloater – yet. But watch this space.

No comments: