Thursday, October 23, 2008

Stuck in a?

You may have gathered from my posts that traffic in Dubai is awful. I really can’t begin to describe how frustrating it is. Gitex hit Dubai this week – a show for all things techie and electronic. I should have known from Cityscape a few weeks before that it would be mayhem on the roads, but I was still surprised when what should have been a ten minute journey to the show took an hour. Yes, one whole hour to travel all of half a mile. What a great use of my time.

Journeys to Abu Dhabi are now taking up to two hours. And last week it took 3 hours to get back. For a 95 mile journey, I think that’s a bit rough.

This makes you think twice about venturing out of the house when you finally arrive home after a long day at work. There’s not much incentive to drag yourself back into a car or taxi at 8 or 9 o’clock when you know it will take you another hour to get anywhere.
I’m lucky because the apartment is next to a myriad of hotels and restaurants, but seriously, I have eaten nearly everything from every single menu. A girl needs some variety! I am determined to get out more in the next few weeks. Watch this space!

No comments: