Tuesday, September 30, 2008

The price of…celery!

Well I never thought I’d be writing about such banal issues as the price of my weekly shop, but this, dear readers, does give you a fascinating insight in my life. Just to warn you: by fascinating, I may mean a little bit dull.

Fruits and vegetables from my local Spinneys (Waitrose) can be a bit hit and miss. Some of it is amazing stuff, but as a lot of it has to be shipped in from far-flung countries, it can be a bit pricey. One trick to avoid this is to avoid the stuff from overseas and buy locally grown produce, where we can. This means no longer paying 2 quid for an aubergine, but 50p. Hurrah!

As yet, I haven’t managed to find any locally grown celery. I actually detest the stuff raw but it’s a great basis for soups and stews. And (thank you Dee Swindlehurst for the recipe) I do LOVE my chick pea stews. So until then I will stump up the required 3 quid for a bunch. As opposed to the 40p I used to pay in Gangster Asda. Sigh.

No comments: