Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Home from Home

Well, it was bound to happen sooner or later. I am officially a Brit Abroad. No, i haven't been scoffing a full English or stomping down the aisles looking for Heinz Baked Beans and HP Sauce. But I have just spent a morning in Marks and Spencer. Kill me now!
In my defence I have a new apartment to kit out, and as my dear colleagues and friends bought me a stack of M and S vouchers as leaving presents, it seemed the ideal place to start. My trolley was piled so high with pots, pans, wine glasses (such excitement) I could barely see my way out of the shop. Thankfully a very sweet man took all my bags from me and took them out to a taxi.
I'm not sure why it felt so odd being in such an English store. Part of me feels that I really should have found a souk and bartered for every household item as part of a more 'authentic' Dubai experience. But there's plenty of time for that. It's 40 degrees, for a start, and if the Open Top Bus Tour taught me anything, it's that I am not willing to be more than 5 minutes away from air con! Picky, me?

1 comment:

NIGEL HUGHES said...

Well, hello...

I have linked so that the good folks of Newton-le-willows can read all about the life of a poor Jersey girl stuck out in Dubai!

EAR I AM